World of Warcraft under WINE update

Just wanted to say that now magically danish special characters works. Dunno what I did ( or didn’t ), and I don’t care. My good friend Pierre (I wish I had a link I could throw at you) told me that I can use “Num Lock” to make activate autorun. So now World of Warcraft pretty much works just like in Windows.

Perhapes because I’m colored (pro Linux) or perhapes because I havn’t patched Windows for a long time (and it havn’t been reinstall for for a couple of years). But World of Warcraft feels better running under Linux :-)

World of Warcraft working in Linux with WINE

A few days ago I tired to get World of Warcraft to work under Linux using WINE (Not WineX - now know as Cadega). Installing the game was a success. Though some buttons was missing their text I pulled myself through. A while back I expirenced an annoying problem while installing a game (I cant remember which or when). I was prompted to change CD but WINE locked the drive, so I was unable to unmount the drive (at least I think WINE was the problem). Anyway I don’t care if it was WINE, Ubuntu or whoever fixed it, now it just works!

After installation I started the game with the opengl parameter which is neassesary for the game to run:

je@rivendell:~$ wine c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe -opengl

I heard that they are pretty close at having the DirectX9 implementation in a state where it is possible to play WoW with that.

Starting the game I was greeted with the well know login screen (a least for people regulary playing - Those who rarely or don’t play at all or those who never logs out (yes there are a few those also) might recall this screen as a blur?!?)

When I logged in a patch was downloaded with a peer-to-peer program which also just worked. The patch was applied without any trouble (again only some bottons was missing their text).

At my second login I was forced to patch again… but this time the patch program crashed and after e few tries I gave up :-( This morning I saw that the WINE release 20050310 had ben packaged for Debian in WINEs Debian repository, see my earlier post.

I tried again and now it just worked. I experience a few problems though:

  • My fouthe mouse botton dosn’t work which means that I can’t enable auto run.
  • ÆØÅ and æøå danish characters dosn’t work.
  • The sound sometimes scratces, but it is really not that much.

Are you still reading… go play your farvorite game on your farvorite OS :-D

I have been LPI certified

I’m now Level 1 LPI certified. The certification consist of 2 exams (BX-0101 and BX-0102). It was quite a troublesome process.

The first exam was in Jutland which is a three and a half hour trip each way in car. The sum-up before the exam was crappy, mostly because of the EXTREAMLY crappy preparation material. Anyway I managed to pull myself through with 560 of 890 points and 500 was required for passing.

The second exam was due to take place two and a half week later. But they had some troubles with their systems so the exam was rescheduled. To bad - this time the sum-up before the exam was really good. Well two weeks later I was on it again. This time I just went right on to the exam. Some of the questions was really wierd but that must be expected from a multiple choise/certification exam right?!? This time I did alot better: 650 of 860 possible points and the passing rate was 500.

MP3 encoding with Sound-Juicer

Countless times have I struggled with MP3 encoding under Linux. I seems for an eternity now. Every single time I had to fall back on the same #¤@?-ing console based ripping with abcde. And if it hadn’t been that abcde is a great ripping tool, the pain that this problem have caused me wouldn’t be describable.

Well now for the good news…. Sound-Juicer finally works (using Sound-Juicer 2.10 from Ubuntu Hoary)! First I had to install the gstreamer8.0-lame package to encode audio to MP3 (gstreamer8.0-mad is needed for playback).

Then i ran gnome-audio-profiles-properties and created a new profile with the following values:

Profile name: CD Quality, Lossy
Profile Description: Test
GStreamer Pipeline: audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc
File Extension: mp3

Profile description and name is up to you. Dont worry, even though you have 2 profile with the same name i.e. “CD Quality, Lossy”, Sound-Juicer will tell the difference between them because it also displays the extension.

I cant remember which package provided gnome-audio-profiles-properties.

Update: Glad to see this info actually helped people out there on the Ubuntu forums :-D

A slick portable DVD/CD drive

I have been looking for a portable DVD/CD drive to add the only function my laptop dosn’t have. Thought it was on purpose I bought it without a DVD/CD drive. I rarely have use for such a drive and I wanted my laptop to be as small as possible (Debian is installable with an USB key). At home I could use a CD-burner but again this is only a function a rarely use and until now have managed to deal with in alternative ways.

But now I’m thinking of installing Ubuntu on my laptop and for that I need a CD-drive. I could borrow one at work, but I think the time has come to buy one myself.

I have found this slick AOpen drive which I think would look good besides my IBM X40 :-D

I have also found some addinional pictures of the drive in the 3D Game Man forum.